expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, June 5, 2017

Beginners Guide to Plank | Philosophical Life

image taken from https://i.kinja-img.com
Bonjour, my friends!
It's finally time to talk about plank. If you're living a Philosophical Life with me then  you know that Plank is one of our new goals. Although, I've already talked a little bit about it in my latest Ph. L. post, I'll remind you anyways. So what is plank and how does it work?
Plank is a static exercise that mainly concentrates on your abdominal muscles and is performed by remaining in one pose for a set period of time. I'm not going to get all scientific here just because I feel like you can find a lot of articles that have already spoken about it in that way. Instead I''l keep it simple and easy to understand. Despite your thinking that exercise is mostly connected with motion and therefore plank is too easy and does nothing, you're wrong. In reality plank can work better than some of traditional exercises like squats or push-ups. When you do a plank it's your muscles that keep you in the same position and let me tell you, it's some hard work right there. Plank will bring you such benefits as stronger core, better spine support, faster metabolism and even some booty. This exercise originates from yoga and pilates but can be also used separately. I think it's a perfect choice if you don't have a lot of free time but still want to stay fit. At usual, plank takes about 5-10 min max.
So for these next 3 weeks I dare you to explore plank. I'm going to do the same, don't worry. As per usual we're starting slow and taking it easy. I'm going to give 3 different levels of plank for each week.

  • First week, we're getting to know our body and the new exercise. Perfect your pose, remember that no matter what position you choose there should always be a straight line mentally inside your body. You can start with a basic position which is your push-up position on your hands and your legs long if it feels like too much, then use your elbows instead and your knees. See how much you can hold it for, be it 10 seconds or 30. 
  • Second week will start with exploring more poses, just look at the image above and choose any of the positions that seem interesting to you. Mainly, the change is in either lifting a hand or a leg or both, sometimes it can be moving to your right or left side. Also, try and make your plank a little bit longer about 5 sec at a time.
  • Third and final week is all about trying to built a routine. Now you know a lot of different positions and feel comfortable doing them so try doing 2-3 at a time with no breaks between them and see what feels good. Trust me, this will take like 2 minutes out of your day. 
If you just can't figure it out and need help, don't worry. I'll be back with a planned 30 day routine next time with photos & a table and if you have some questions then ask them down below or write me an email. 
Take it slow, it's our first time doing this exercise. I have done this before and you can rely on my experience, it really does work. Give it a try and let it be a part of your new philosophical life. 

Remember that plank goes really well with yoga and we're doing a 30 Day Yoga Challenge  atm so tune in for that. It's an easy routine for any level even if you haven't done any yoga before. 



Follow my journey on  Instagram 



Stay fit
Stay true
XoXo
Ivana

No comments:

Post a Comment